Beekeeping for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started and Succeed Keeping Bees in Your Backyard
Beekeeping for Beginners: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started and Succeed Keeping Bees in Your Backyard by Kim Flottum
Publisher: New Shoe Press
Genre: Home & Garden, Professional & Technical
Format: temporary PDF
No. of Pages: 459
Date of US Publication: 15 June, 2022
My Rating: 5 Stars
What a fascinating guide this is. It goes into what you will need to maintain a successful hive and, despite being a beginner’s book, as well as not overly long, it goes into considerable detail with many photos and diagrams.
There’s a lot of knowledge within these pages and this a recommendation for those interested in tending their own.
Temporary PDF kindly provided by New Shoe Press (Quarto Publishing Group - Quarry) and NetGalley. Opinions shared are my own.
With this absolute beginner’s guide, learn how to set up your backyard hives, select and raise bees, and harvest honey, with the added bonus of bringing pollinators to your yard and garden.
You’ve decided to try beekeeping—so where do you start? Beekeeping for Beginners, adapted from the best-selling The Backyard Beekeeper, covers everything you need to know, from selecting the right kind of hives, and finding and bringing bees home to your yard, right up to the collection and enjoyment of the glorious reward—golden honey. Rewarding and environmentally beneficial, reading this complete and introductory guide is the first step in your journey to becoming a successful beekeeper, whether you decide to have one hive or twenty-five.
Renowned beekeeping expert Kim Flottum shares his vast knowledge from years of teaching beekeeping to all levels of enthusiasts for a no-fail approach to bringing a productive bee colony onto your property. Featuring diagrams and color photos, learning what you need to know to establish a vibrant bee colony is fun and easy.
The features that set Beekeeping for Beginners apart from other guides:
- Simplified approach―Aimed at the beginner, the book covers everything you need to know in uncomplicated and accessible language, accompanied by full-color illustrative photography.
- Up to date and organic―Learn details on the most current methods that make beekeeping sustainable and accessible even for the smallest yard and urban enthusiasts.
- Learn from an expert―Complete information from a trusted voice in the beekeeping community will give you the tools and knowledge you need to enjoy keeping bees with confidence.
This guide offers detailed instruction for:
- Establishing and taking care of your new bees
- Stress-free hive management
- Site selection and management
- Safety and swarm control
- Types of hives including top bar hives
- Harvesting, collecting, and processing honey
- Keeping bees and hives healthy year-round in all climates
- Urban beekeeping
- Smokers 101
- Pest and disease management
- Biodiversity and food for healthy hives
Learn everything you need to know to start your colony with this straightforward, highly visual guide for beginning beekeepers.
Post a Comment