Classic Calligraphy for Beginners: Essential Step-by-Step Techniques for Copperplate and Spencerian Scripts - 25+ Simple, Modern Projects for Pointed Nib, Pen, and Brush by Younghae Chung
Publisher: Quarry Books / Quarto Publishing Group
Genre: Arts & Photography, Crafts & Hobbies
Format: temporary PDF
No. of Pages: 144
Date of US Publication: 12 July, 2022
My Rating: 5 Stars
When I saw this title and the cover, it appealed to me in a way that felt a little like a gut punch - I remembered how I used to know how to do calligraphy in the 80’s, when I was a kid and how much I loved it then. I also haven’t made time to do this or anything else that really appeals to me being so busy with all the crappy minutiae that unfortunately goes along with being a mostly responsible adult. I then huh’d because I don’t recall the last time I actually put pen to paper (I just tried and my handwriting is a huge mess). I requested an advance copy of this to read and review because I also realized that I miss doing things for the pure joy of doing them.
I was thrilled to get a copy of this and started looking through it immediately - noting the simplicity, seeing just how perfectly the calligraphy is enough here, and requires nothing else to shine. The layout is clean and highly appealing. The author goes into detail with what you’re looking for in the recommended tools and supplies, sharing her preferred brands. She goes into paper positioning and troubleshooting. There’s a lot to take in.
The projects within are beautiful, the photos are gorgeous, and I would suggest this for anyone looking to get in touch with their formerly creative self. I found this book to be very inspirational.
I highly recommend this one.
eARC kindly provided by Quarry Books / Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley. Opinions shared are my own.
Classic Calligraphy for Beginners introduces the fundamental techniques for mastering two classic calligraphic scripts, Copperplate and Spencerian, plus easy-to-follow exercises and fun, modern projects.
Guided by instructions and illustrations by noted calligraphy artist and teacher Younghae Chung, you will:
- Get a detailed yet concise overview of tools, supplies, and terminology
- Try out your materials with basic warm-ups and nib exercises
- Learn the essential principles or strokes and create the lowercase and uppercase letters of the featured scripts
- Take your letters to the next level and add flourishes with confidence
- Explore brush pens and non-flexible writing tools to emulate the look of calligraphy on large-scale and unusual surfaces
- Reinforce core skills by applying the scripts to a variety of simple, modern projects on paper, wood, glass, fabric, and other surfaces, and get inspiring tips on how to add beautiful details that lend a modern touch
- Find sample guide sheets for Copperplate, Spencerian, and brush calligraphy
Discover the timeless beauty of calligraphy with Classic Calligraphy for Beginners.
Post a Comment